#TheBookChallenge: What Texts Shaped Your Life?
I'm always down to talk good books so, when my mentor Dr. David Wall Rice, challenged me recently to #TheBookChallenge on Facebook, I was raring to go. Participants in the challenge are asked to list 10 influential books and their authors in no particular order, and to tag 10 people to do the same. I thought hard about my list. You can check it out below.
Here's toward a freedom curriculum:
- "Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters" x John Steptoe
- "Frankenstein" x Mary Shelley
- "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" x Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley
- "Invisible Man" x Ralph Ellison
- "Song of Solomon" x Toni Morrison
- "Assata: An Autobiography" x Assata Shakur
- "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" x Maya Angelou
- "Their Eyes Were Watching God" x Zora Neale Hurston
"Nile Valley Contributions to Civilization" x Anthony T. Browder
"Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination" x Toni Morrison